- 3 pounds fresh tomatoes (mix of fresh heirlooms, cherry, vine and plum tomatoes)
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 large yellow onions, sliced
- 1/2 cup of extra virgin olive oil
- 3/4 of a quart chicken stock
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- sea salt and pepper
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
Chop all of the tomatoes into small chunks. Spread the tomatoes, garlic cloves and onions onto a cookie sheet. Drizzle with 1/2 cup of olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast for 30 minutes, or until caramelized.
Remove roasted tomatoes, garlic and onion from the oven and transfer to a large stock pot. Add the chicken stock, bay leaves, and butter. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes or until liquid has reduced by a third.
Chop basil leaves and add to the pot. Use an immersion blender to puree the soup until smooth. Return soup to low heat and add cream. Serve garnished with a vine tomato and basil leaf.